Student Disability Services (SDS) has moved to a new university-wide database called Accommodation Information Management (AIM).

Requests for accommodations will be made using AIM:

  • New to working with SDS students will submit an initial request for accommodations through the AIM online initial application.
  • Students with approved accommodations can request accommodations for the fall by using the AIM student portal.
  • Then follow the Student Guidelines for Requesting Accommodation through AIM. The portal will be accessed using your Hopkins JHED ID and password. Single sign on will work after the first time if you use it.
  • Please note: Students who are already in the process of getting accommodations approved should contact SDS at the email address for your school below if you have any questions about next steps in that process. The portal will be available for you to login once you are approved to use accommodations.

SDS acknowledges the disruption and impact the coronavirus has had on the lives of many students with disabilities.  Please contact your SDS coordinator for additional support. You can also find resources and updated information on the university’s operations and response on the Hopkins COVID-19 Information Page.

Undergraduate and Full-Time Graduate Students at Homewood

Krieger School of Arts and Sciences/Whiting School of Engineering
Contact information: Student Disability Services, Shaffer 101. 410-516-4720

Additional campuses

Students should contact their school’s disability coordinator to start the accommodations process.

Student Disability Services (SDS)

To request disability related accommodations or services at Johns Hopkins, students should complete the registration process as outlined below. Disability Services staff is available at each of Hopkins’ schools to work with students throughout the process. Please review the list of Disability Services staff by school to determine who your contact will be and reach out to them by email or phone if you have any questions.

Disability Defined

The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. This includes people who have a record of such an impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability. It also includes individuals who do not have a disability but are regarded as having a disability. The ADA also makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person based on that person’s association with a person with a disability.

How to Request Accommodations
  1. Complete the Disability Services Initial Form online.
  2. Review our Documentation Guidelines and submit documentation from an appropriate provider.
  3. The Documentation Form can be used to document physical, medical, or psychological conditions. Additional information is required for learning disabilities and strongly recommended for ADHD so services can be effectively matched with needs. Link to a web version of the form that can be printed out.
  4. Schedule a meeting with a Disability Services staff member at your school and become familiar with your Rights and Responsibilities.

Accommodations or services can also be requested for the registration process by contacting your school’s Disability Services staff member.


Accommodations and services are provide once eligibility has been established. Since the process can take some time, we encourage student to begin the process well in advance of the start of their program or as soon as possible when a need arises so that services or accommodations can be coordinated in a timely way.

Relevant dates to receive priority for particular accommodations will be provided on the Student Disability Services pages at each school. Accommodations may be requested at any time but are not retroactive.

Confidentiality/Self Advocacy

Disclosing all relevant information to Disability Services is essential to establishing a disability/eligibility for services or accommodations and ensuring what is provided will be effective in meeting needs. Once registered with Disability Services and approved to use accommodations or services, students have a choice about how much information is shared beyond that point and students retain the right to request/use accommodations or to elect not to. Disclosure is a personal choice and students are always free to provide whatever information they are comfortable sharing, but Student Disability Services processes preserve confidentiality for students who prefer to disclose only what is needed (the accommodation or services).

Temporary and Provisional Accommodations

Students with injuries or concussion may need temporary accommodations for a short term disability. Provisional accommodations may be provided while students are seeking documentation or an evaluation to determine the presence of a disability or the specific services or accommodations needed. Please contact the Student Disability Services staff member at your school to discuss your particular situation/needs and to determine what is possible.

Meet with Your Designated Student Disability Services Coordinator

This step is essential in establishing eligibility and determining accommodations or services. Student reported information about the impact of the disability, needs and any accommodations or services that worked in the past is essential to the process. Appointments can happen in person, remotely or by phone. Please contact the SDS Coordinator at your school to set this up.

Grievance Procedures for Students with Disabilities

Please visit the Grievance Procedures web page for information on appealing accommodation determinations.