Student Accommodations

Fall 2020 Update for Students from Student Disability Services (SDS)


Student Disability Services will be operating during usual business hours and will be fully remote except in rare instances. Please review all pertinent details below and check local disability services websites at your school for any updates.

  • Appointments will be available by Teams, Zoom or phone and can be scheduled during business hours.
  • Even if you remain on campus and/or have in person components to your program or research, we request that you use remote options with SDS to the greatest extent possible.

Disability Accommodations and Services for ALL Schools with Remote Courses

  • Students already registered with SDS can use their Hopkins JHED ID and password to login to the new SDS accommodations management system Accommodate to request their fall accommodations letters or request changes to accommodations.
  • Contact faculty members to discuss your accommodations and learn about how your courses will be delivered as well as how accommodations will work; faculty may elect to use different delivery methods and formats from spring 2020 so it will be important to know these details as soon as possible.
  • Exam accommodations will be delivered remotely and coordinated by faculty; contact SDS if you or your instructors have any questions or concerns.
  • With the move to remote course delivery in Fall 2020, there may be a continuing adjustment to technologies as well as potential challenges in delivering accommodations; please reach out to SDS to talk things through, report problems and let us know if you need additional accommodations or support.
  • NEW ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS: Students may discover that accommodations are needed for the first time due to the change to remote classes. Students from all Hopkins schools can begin the SDS registration process online. Many aspects of the SDS process are already online and meetings to discuss your needs, explain how things work, and finalize accommodations will continue to happen remotely.

Students remaining in the residence halls on campus (Homewood and Peabody)

  • Please let SDS know you are here so that we can continue to communicate with you about any updates or changes that may impact you in a particular way.
  • If you need additional support during this time, please do not hesitate to reach out so that SDS can assist you in sorting out any disability related concerns and connecting to appropriate local resources.

SDS acknowledges the disruption and impact the coronavirus has had on the lives of many students with disabilities.  Please contact your SDS coordinator for additional support. You can also find resources and updated information on the university’s operations and response on the Hopkins COVID-19 Information Page.

We wish you all the best for Fall 2020!

Student Disability Services (SDS) Staff


You can also find resources and updated information on the university’s operations and response on our Hub COVID-19 Information Page

Undergraduate and Full-Time Graduate Students at Homewood

Krieger School of Arts and Sciences/Whiting School of Engineering
Contact information: Student Disability Services, Shaffer 101. 410-516-4720

Additional campuses

Students should contact their school’s disability coordinator to start the accommodations process:

Disability Services 

To request disability related accommodations or services at Johns Hopkins, students should complete the registration process as outlined below. Disability Services staff is available at each of Hopkins’ schools to work with students throughout the process. Please review the list of Disability Services staff by school to determine who your contact will be and reach out to them by email or phone if you have any questions.

Disability Defined

The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. This includes people who have a record of such an impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability. It also includes individuals who do not have a disability but are regarded as having a disability. The ADA also makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person based on that person’s association with a person with a disability.

How to Register

  1. Complete the Disability Services Registration Form and return it to the Disability Services contact at your school.
  2. Review our Documentation Guidelines and submit documentation from an appropriate provider. The Documentation Form can be used to document physical, medical, or psychological conditions. Additional information is required for learning disabilities and strongly recommended for ADHD so services can be effectively matched with needs.
  3. Schedule a meeting with a Disability Services staff member at your school and become familiar with your Rights and Responsibilities.

Forms can be found on our left-hand menu under “Forms and Registration Materials.” They can also be requested by emailing the contact at your school. Accommodations or services can also be requested for the registration process by contacting your school’s Disability Services staff member.


Accommodations and services are provide once the registration process has been completed and eligibility has been established. Since the process can take some time, we encourage student to begin the process well in advance of the start of their program or as soon as possible when a need arises so that services or accommodations can be coordinated in a timely way.

Relevant dates to receive priority for particular accommodations will be provided on the Disability Services pages at each school. Accommodations may be requested at any time but are not retroactive.

Confidentiality/Self Advocacy

Disclosing all relevant information to Disability Services is essential to establishing a disability/eligibility for services or accommodations and ensuring what is provided will be effective in meeting needs. Once registered with Disability Services and approved to use accommodations or services, students have a choice about how much information is shared beyond that point and students retain the right to request/use accommodations or to elect not to. Disclosure is a personal choice and students are always free to provide whatever information they are comfortable sharing, but Disability Services processes preserve confidentiality for students who prefer to disclose only what is needed (the accommodation or services).

Temporary and Provisional Accommodations

Students with injuries or concussion may need temporary accommodations for a short term disability. Provisional accommodations may be provided while students are seeking an evaluation to determine the presence of a disability or the specific services or accommodations needed. Please contact the Disability Services staff member at your school to discuss your particular situation/needs and to determine what is possible.

Meet with your Designated Student Disability Services Coordinator

This step is essential in establishing eligibility and determining accommodations or services. Student reported information about the impact of the disability, needs and any accommodations or services that worked in the past is essential to the process. Appointments can happen in person, remotely or by phone. Please contact the disability services office at your school to set this up.